4. Brain Surgery (Part III)

I can’t tell you very much from the actual surgery, for what can I say, I wasn’t exactly there to take notes. I did have it retold by my surgeon and I have to admit, it is pretty amazing what these people can do.

Peace and tranquility - Lake Mapourika, New Zealand.

I believe I woke up at around 8 pm, which would be some seven hours after having been put to sleep. I had not been allowed to eat after 8 pm the evening prior or drink after midnight, which meant that a good 24 hours had passed since my last meal. I could have killed for a jug of water and a bag of candy. For the first time in my life I felt closer to 120 years old than my current 28 and not exactly ready to spring out of bed. In the meantime I had also come to the realisation that I was butt naked under the covers.

My routine the first night post-surgery included sleeping for an hour or two, waking up and asking the nurse, who was tending the four of us in the “wake up room”, for the time and more importantly, for a sip of water. She did exactly this and let me unscrupulously suck on a water-soaked lollipop sponge. Aggravating to say the least. I must have put the nurses through the same routine five or six times that night. No wonder they returned me to my original room so quickly. I was also administered morphine intravenously “on demand”. However, this was not the rush I was hoping for. It helped me sleep and be free of pain, but it also made me nauseous. Here’s a tip, get the morphine administered subcutaneously instead of intravenously. It definitely helped relieve the nausea.

As the wake up room was not very well lit during the night it was difficult to have a look around. I could sense that my head was bandaged as well as my left hand. I attempted to have another look at my hand at daybreak and was given a real fright. In red letters someone had written “ANAL” and there was a blood-filled plastic tube connected. My thoughts were WHAT!? As to my knowledge this was not something that had been discussed. I remember trying to stir under the covers to figure out if there was any tubing connected that had to do with the red lettering on my hand, for I was seriously getting worried. After the nurse had pulled up the blinds I could see that I had misread the lettering.

It did not say “ANAL” but “A NÅL”. It was the arterial needle I had been informed of two days earlier. What can I say, blame it on the morphine.

February 26th, 2007



  Talia wrote @

Ha haa. Oh my wonderful friend! I love your sense of humor. This post made me laugh and laugh. Somehow I can just picture you saying this.

[…] Filed under ‘Ska bli frisk’ (All posts) I received a morse code ( … –…) from Talia the other day, or so I thought. When I read the SMS it said, Ditt kontantkort är slut… fyll […]

  Maria A-Z wrote @

I have added one of the most beautiful pictures I’ve ever seen. I picked it up at my favorite hang-out “Wikipedia” where I go to search for “Peace”. /Maria Z

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: